When's the last time you heard the words healthy, easy and Chinese food in the same sentence? Well, my friends. The time is now. Here's a fabulous recipe for Cashew Chicken that is Gluten Free and can be made in the slow cooker so you can focus on other things while it cooks. Serve this with rice, cauli-rice or on top of our Everyday Cabbage recipe. Add cilantro and scallions before serving!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts with the skin on
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch (use arrowroot powder for Paleo/grain-free option)
- 1/4 Cup gluten-free AND low sodium tamari
- 1/4 Cup gluten-free hoisin sauce
- 4 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1" fresh ginger chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 Cup raw cashews
- Coconut oil for pan frying the chicken
- cilantro & scallions optional
- Place the cornstarch on a plate, in a bowl or in a ziplock bag.
- Cut the chicken breasts (with the skin on) into bite-sized chunks. You can use a knife or kitchen shears to do this.
- Toss the chicken cubes in the cornstarch to get a light coating.
- Add coconut oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat to medium/high. Add the chicken and lightly brown for 2 minutes on each side. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan. You may need to do this in 2-3 batches depending on the size of your pan. Put all the par-cooked chicken in the slow cooker.
- Combine the tamari, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, chopped ginger, chopped garlic and coconut sugar in a bowl and pour it over the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Add the cashews and toss everything together.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours.