When I say everyday, I mean that it is easy enough to make and delicious enough to eat everyday. It's an excellent side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner and cabbage is full of antioxidants, vitamins and natural fiber. The cooking technique is what separates this winning side dish from soggy, stinky cabbage - gross. Notice how the image has golden, browned pieces? That's the tastiest part! The trick is to leave the ingredients in the hot pan while resisting the urge to toss it until it is browned. See the full details below.
2 C Green cabbage, any variety
1/4 C Red or yellow onion
1 Tbs Coconut oil or fat of your choice
- Set a frying pan to medium/high, add the coconut oil and melt to coat the pan.
- Add a layer of thinly sliced onion.
- Add the thinly sliced cabbage on top of the onion in the frying pan.
- Add a generous amount of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- Do NOT toss at all. Wait at least 4 minutes before peeking under the cabbage to see if the onions are starting to brown.
- If the onions are golden brown then it is time to toss it. After 3-5 minutes all of the cabbage should be translucent but still crunchy. Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.