If you suffer from chronic or occasional joint pain, you know that relief without medication is hard to find. One natural remedy for joint pain is epsom salt. Typically epsom salts are used in a soak or a bath but who has time for that everyday? That's why we created the Joint Pain Body Scrub.
This home made body scrub can be used in the shower daily or when pain strikes. It can also be made ahead of time so you don't need to fuss. It relieves pain associated with arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia and sports injuries. Be sure to rub it all over and leave it on for a couple of minutes. The high quality oils like shea butter, argan oil and almond oil soften and protect your skin, too.
This recipe can be altered too. So long as you keep the top 5 ingredients, you can change the essential oils. Try a peppermint scent in the summer months and lavender chamomile if you are showering in the evenings.
- 1 cup epsom salt
- 1/4 cup raw shea butter (should be flakey)
- 1/2 cup almond or avocado oil
- 1 tsp argan oil
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil
- 30 drops lime essential oil
- 30 drops orange essential oil
- rind of 1 pink grapefruit (optional)
- Using a rinding tool, shred the rind off of one grapefruit and put in a small bowl.
- Add the almond oil, argan oil, vitamin E oil and all of your essential oils to the bowl with the grapefruit rind. Mix together.
- In a separate, larger bowl, add the epsom salt and the shea butter and rub together with your fingers to incorporate the two ingredients together. Now, this is where things could get tricky depending on what kind of shea butter you have. Mine is soft and flakey like cooked white rice and blended well with the salt. If yours is firmer, try using a fork or a paring knife to break off small pieces. If you can't find shea butter, this ingredient can be eliminated.
- Combine the epsom salt mixture with the oils mixture and mix until combined.
- Store in a jar and leave next to your shower for easy use. Tip: if you have a small spoon, you can leave it in the jar for easier use.