Cue the Aladdin soundtrack because this middle eastern chicken salad is about to show you a whole new world of lunch possibilities. It's a twist on your traditional mayo-based chicken salad, swapping the mayonnaise for tahini which happens to be one of our favorite foods! Tahini, made from sesame seeds, is jam packed full of trace minerals, calcium and B vitamins. It has plenty of healthy, omega 6 fatty acids which help balance our body's inflammatory response. Plus, this recipe is easy to make and super delicious! Enjoy it on top of a green salad or on your favorite gluten free crackers. Here's a quick kitchen hack: buy a roasted chicken from the store, saving the breasts for the chicken salad.
Our friends over at Our Harvest work with local farmers to deliver the freshest organic produce, fish and poultry directly to you. You simply login to their website, make an order, choose a pick-up location and BAM you have everything you need to make this Middle Eastern Chicken Salad! For this recipe, you would need to order fresh local yellow onions, fresh local carrots, split whole pastured chicken, baby romaine lettuce mix. T + W subscribers get 20% off their first order so be sure to take them up on this offer!
- 2 roasted chicken breasts
- 1 lemon or 3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 C carrots
- 1/2 C celery
- 1/4 C onion, red or white
- 3 Tbs tahini
- 2 Tbs cold pressed olive oil
- 2 Tbs fresh parsley (optional)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- If you already have roasted chicken breasts, skip to the next step. Ask your butcher to cut a whole chicken in half. Preheat oven to 425 F. Place the two halves skin side up on parchment paper in a roasting pan. Season generously with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place in over for 45-55 minutes or until the skin is browned and a little bit crispy.
- Cut the two roasted chicken breasts into cubes, keeping the skin on. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Dice the carrots, celery, onion and parsley and add it to the bowl with the chicken.
- Generously sprinkle with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper and add tahini, juice of 1 lemon and olive oil.
- Toss until well combined and serve immediately or refrigerate.