I like to call this dish "August in a bowl". It is the quintessential side dish for late summer BBQs and picnics. With Labor Day coming up, add this to your menu and enjoy the fruits of summer's harvest.
The original family recipe calls for fresh basil but we had lots of glorious mint in the garden so we went with that for this photo. There are no rules here. I think tarragon would go well here too! Be sure to look for a balsamic vinegar that does not contain caramel coloring as those lower quality vinegars can contain gluten.
- 1 ripe yellow peach
- 1 ripe white peach
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 small red or vidalia onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil or fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of finishing sea salt like Maldon
- Core and dice the peaches, dice the tomatoes, thinly slice the onions, chiffonade the herbs and gently toss everything together in a bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar evenly over the salad.
- Sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Toss and serve immediately.