With Cinco de Mayo coming up we want you to be prepared. Now is the right time to go to your local bodega or corner store to pick up some green plantains, avocados and some gluten-free beer. Plantains look like big, green bananas. For this recipe you will want the green ones that have some yellow color but you don't want to choose the very yellow, ripe ones with brown spots – that's for a different dish. You can use these chips to scoop up home made pico de gallo or guacamole. Viva el guac!
- 1 green plantain
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- sea salt or finishing sea salt
- Peel the plantain. You may need to score the peel three times lengthwise and cut off the two ends in order to do this.
- Make 1/8" slices.
- Place the plantains in a frying pan with the coconut oil and heat to medium/high light.
- Cook each side for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place in a bowl, sprinkle generously with sea salt and enjoy!