The weather is warming up around here and salad season is in full swing. This summer slaw is vibrant, bright and tangy. The carrots and mango give it a natural sweetness that will pair well with any barbeque. The lime and tamari give it a savory sass that will excite anyone's taste buds.
You can find shredded carrots in many stores these days which makes this salad a breeze to make. If you have a food processor with a special shredder blade you can use that as well. There are also these handy peelers on the market but because the carrots are so hard, it's definitely the hard way.
- 2 C shredded carrots
- 1 ripe but firm mango
- 4 scallions
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno or Serrano pepper (optional)
- 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp gluten free tamari
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- black and white sesame seeds (optional)
- Cut the mango into cubes. If you don't know how, check out this YouTube video. My preferred method is to cut the "cheeks" off, cut them into three pieces lengthwise, glide the knife along the skin to remove and cut the flesh into cubes.
- Cut the scallions into slices and chop the chili pepper if you are using it.
- Chop the cilantro.
- In a bowl, combine the shredded carrots, mango cubes, scallions, pepper and cilantro. Squeeze the juice of one lime evenly over the salad. Top with gluten free tamari, sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- Toss the salad until well coated and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.