The nice thing about this recipe is that it is pretty easy to put together. There are a few extra steps because we aren't using a tub of ricotta cheese but it is still fairly simple and totally worth it! It is really important that you buy carrots that are already shredded unless you have a food processor but we are looking for easy and healthy with this recipe.
The pasta that I use is called Tinkyada and can be found in Fairyway, Whole Foods and other health food markets. You can use any gluten free lasagna noodles for this recipe. Try to find organic ingredients whenever possible.
- 1 cup raw cashews (more if you want it "cheezier")
- 1 box gluten free rice pasta lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped kale or spinach
- 1 jar gluten free tomato sauce (Cucina Antica is the best!)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- olive oil
- Soak cashews in a bowl of cold water for 1-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add noodles. Cook according to the directions but take out 2 minutes early so that the noodles are quite al dente. Set them aside.
- Slice the onion and then cut in half so you are left with 2" pieces. Set aside in a bowl and add the frozen chopped kale. Mix together.
- Chop the cabbage and mix it together with the shredded carrots. Set aside in a bowl.
- Strain the cashews and place in a high speed blender like a vitamix. Add the garlic powder, sea salt, pepper and a tablespoon of fresh water. Blend well. Scrape the edges down and blend again. You may need to add a little more water in order to get a smooth consistency. You do not want this to be like a cream sauce, you want it to be thick like a ricotta or sour cream consistency. At the end add the parsley and blend until combined.
- Now assemble the lasagna! Spread some olive oil on the bottom and sides of a baking dish. Spoon a thin layer or tomato sauce. Add a layer or noodles. Spoon half of the cashew cream on top of the noodles and add the onion and kale mixture. Add the carrot cabbage mixture on top. Cover with a layer of tomato sauce. This is where the majority of the sauce should be. Cover with a layer of noodles. Add the remaining tomato sauce on top of the noodles.
- To finish the lasagna, add the remaining cashew cream on top. Try to spread it without mixing it with the tomato sauce too much. You want to keep some of the pure white color of the cashews. Sprinkle some dried parsley on top.
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until the sides are bubbling and the edges turn slightly brown.
- Serve and enjoy!